Earlier this month I picked up a load of hickory fresh from the distributor. Fresh it was.... so fresh that it was still a bit too moist. I had to sticker it and leave it in the shop with the fans on to pull some moisture out of it. I had a saw blade get stuck in it while cutting to long lengths a couple weeks ago. Last week I ripped and chopped over 1000 pieces and still have more stock to go. All the squares got stacked so that air can get though them so they can continue to acclimate. It has been quite a lot of work to get this batch ready for the lathe.
I got to the shop early this morn after stopping at the hardware store for some copper fittings to sweat the water pipe back together. I get to the shop to realize the torch set acetylene regulator was on the fritz. There was a replacement but the hose fitting was too small. I returned the new regulator to the supply house and went to see about getting the old regulator rebuilt. My dad had nice regulators on his torch set and worth being rebuilt. I left the regulator at the welding supply and set out to get a temporary fitting to get the water pipe fixed. Stopped at Coburns, got a fitting, went back to the shop and rebuilt the spigot pipe. I jumped back on the lathe and finished turning a small batch before resharpening time.
Pulled the tooling and did a nice sharpening. Got them back on the lathe and started making some tweaks then the phone rang. It was the welding supply. The regulator was fixed. I finished with my adjustments so I could start immediately after returning from retrieving the regulator. I stopped at S&L bolt for some inserts while I was picking up the regulator. Some pieces for a few mod tricks I have up my sleeve for the lathe.
The previous sanding modifications that were made to the lathe are developing nicely. I am very happy with the results. I will have to fabricate a longer steady rest component to hold the sand paper securely so that it will cover the entire stick. As of now, the lathe is producing a nice semi polished stick. VERY little sanding will have to be made after the stick is trimmed and end shaped. I'm liking the developments on this modification TREMENDOUSLY.
I've had a long day and I'm getting ready to take off my hats. I'll be up and at 'em early in the morn to make some sticks to fill orders. Currently stock is needed to fill 5A and 7A orders. I've had some requests for a stick between 5A and 7A so I plan on turning some 747 diameter (.551) sticks too. This spring break week will also see turning of a jazz stick, 3A and the beginnings of the oval tip sticks. Acorn will get some further development as well.