I started working on some axles for the sharpening wheels I bought. I thought I could use some standard 7/8" bolts, cut the heads off, make some bushings and mount them in the variable speed hand lathe. Seemed simple enough except the bolts are not straight and true. After several hours of fabrication, I will have to have the bolt spindles "trued" by a machinist and remake my bushings and get some new bolts and washers. Chalk it up to research and development.
There was a milestone made with dust collection. Even if it is just on a primitive level, I got the table saw setup with a hood for collection to minimize the air born particles in the shop. It helps tremendously to reduce the cloud of dust that is created when ripping hundreds of pieces of stock. The next step will be the router and the chop saw. Eventually I would like to run a trunk line with branches to tooling overhead in the shop. This will allow all the tool dust to be collected by one central dust/chip collector. I'm also working out design and fabrication of a traveling back knife hood.
There is starting to be a mass of chippings and saw dust in the shop. At the moment I have 2 large canvas leaf bags full. Hopefully my landscaper friend will pick them up soon to free up the space in an already cramped shop.
We, Deborah and I, designed some stamps with sizes and my name and web address. They are a start and that too will develop. It looks good and is simple enough to apply. My next step is to apply the finish to the stick. I've got the name of the finish product and now I have to order it. I was hoping to possibly find some local but that is proving to be a challenge.
I did have an epiphany on the way over to the shop wednesday morn. When I first got the lathe, I was told I would need to rewire the drive motor. I did that and seemed all was well. In that same time period there was a lot of family activity with my mother, I got distracted, and failed to realize that I needed to rewire the pump motor as well. After struggling through the winter, buying a hydraulic pad heater, and the system running slow... I remembered I hadn't rewired the pump motor. I rewired the motor only to start tripping the motor safety relay in the machine main panel. I pulled it out, gave it a good cleaning and reinstalled only to have it keep doing the same. I did some math and looked at the motor label and saw that I needed to up the heater coils to a higher amperage rating. I went to visit my guy at the electric supply. He told me they didn't handle Allen Bradley but did point me in the right direction. I went and bought some. For being such a small part, they sure are expensive. The hydraulic pump spins right up and the machine cycles much faster now, especially on carriage return.
I had an interesting conversation Monday with a gentleman from New Jersey. He is Thino Cacciolo at MO Drumsticks. We share a lot of commonalities and he was a joy to talk to. His company does stick weight modifications to drumsticks. Drumsticks can be tailored for each individual drummer. The process can balance the fulcrum nearly anywhere on the stick. If you would like to learn more, please visit his site at www.modrumsticks.com
I gotta go get stock to get ready to make more drumsticks for everyone. Planning to get some orders out on Monday.
Y'all have a great day!!